The 10 Commandments are among the verses every parent wants their children to memorize. But memorization should be fun! This quick craft for the 10 Commandments will help your Sunday school kids memorize while feeling all the while that they‘re simply enjoying an art project. For starters, use this kid-friendly version of the 10 Commandments that will be easier for them to remember:
1. Honor the Lord your God
2. Don’t worship anything but God
3. Use God’s name with respect
4. Remember the Sabbath day
5. Honor your parents
6. Don’t kill people
7. Be faithful to the person you marry
8. Don’t steal
9. Don’t lie
10. Don’t be jealous of other people
10 Commandments Bookmark Craft
This craft will provide kids with the perfect bookmark, something they can use at home to keep the 10 Commandments in front of them often!
The materials you’ll need include the following: poster board or thick construction paper (light colored works best), yarn, black fine-tip markers, gray crayons, and a hole punch.
Instructions for Making the Craft
- Fold the paper in half and cut it into two tablet shaped pieces, rounded on the top. On the first, write, “The 10 Commandments”, or “God’s Rules”, at the top, but leave some space to punch a hole.
- Have the kids write five commandments on each tablet, if they are able.
- When they are finished, tell them to lightly color over both the front and back of the tablets with the gray crayons.
- Punch a hole in the top of each tablet, and cut two pieces of yarn for each child. Knot one piece of yarn through each hole, then tie them together at the top. This way, the bookmark can “straddle” the pages with the yarn sticking out of the Bible.
- Help the children find the 10 Commandments in Exodus 20 and put their bookmarks in place!
This craft is great for memorizing the 10 Commandments, because not only do kids write them out (a great way to memorize), but it shows them where to find the verses in the Bible on their own! Encourage them to read the 10 Commandments on their own every day. They will love being able to find it all by themselves.